October 26, 2007

The Lake House

A love story of two people from different periods of time. The man (Keannu Reeves, plays Alex an architect) lives in 2004 while the woman (Sandra Bullock, plays Kate a doctor) lives in 2006, a difference of two years. Their means of contact is through a mailbox by the lake house owned by Alex, which, eventually was rented by Kate. They virtually enjoyed the company of each other though they haven’t met for once in their lives, considering that they live in separate era. I mentioned it is a love story, well, yes, they fell in love. They fell in love to the point that they’re ready to give their whole heart to each other contemplating that the entire scenario is genuine.
 Of course it is a movie, after being moved by it we would end up appreciating the director, the scriptwriters, the actors and actresses for coming up with such a magnificent movie. But did it ever occur to you if this could happen in a real setting? Could this be possible? Can the man from the past communicate with the woman in the present or in the  future? How could that be? Hmmmm.. Physicists out there, this is a new thing for you guys to ponder on.
 Alex and Kate end up together as anticipated. She waited for him to meet her in the present year that she lives, that is, he has to live his life for two years and wait for the time to come. They WAITED for the right time to come, the time when the year wherein they both live will finally meet. Okay, so in the movie they waited. Let me shift back to reality; let’s assume that what happened in the movie could possibly happen. Is it possible to fall in love with someone you haven’t met in your entire life, creating an idea of him only through letters? Will you wait for that person to come into your life and hope that you will live happily ever after? What if you will spend your whole life waiting?
 I never involved myself into a serious boy-girl relationship. Not even once. Not even a chance. I realized how isolated I’ve let myself become. Believe me, you can get a bit desperate. How many times have I asked myself: are you ready, are you ready, are you ready? And how many times did I hear myself yell back: NO, NO, NO YOU”RE NOT!!! And so, I let all my feelings go and see them die. I’m not acting naïve, coy or demure in here, because I am not. I have opened my eyes to the culture that dictates that having a boyfriend is taboo (many disregard this though, but I am a norm-abiding person as you know), Islam says it’s harram, and my heart says that there’s something better coming around the corner. I shall wait then.
 Two-liner from Kate that, again, sounded like my echo:
“Here’s a man who wants to spend the rest of his life with me, but I push him away. In the meantime, the one man I can never meet, him I would like to give my whole heart to.”

3 comments:

Nessreen Tamano said...

Hay, masyadong complicated ang movie na to. Para akong maloloka after I watched it, super analyze ito. For a very short moment, I understood it, tapos biglang nawala at na-confused na naman ako. Kaya I decided that I didn't like this movie. Too many missing links.

Tamz      said...

I love that movie. Actually, the plot is simple. Time warp pero nakakailig tapos Keanu + Sandra pa. have you seen Speed? I also love the soundtrack.

Ai R said...

ya, i've seen Speed. that was also an awesome movie! galing the tandem nila. hindi ko na maalala yung soundtrack. hehe.