April 2, 2016

Shopping Guide For First Time Moms

It is common for first time moms to buy quite a number of stuff which would turn out to be impractical when the little one is already there. I have started researching about baby needs by reading blogs and parenting magazines as early as I learned I was conceiving! In this social media age, especially with Instagram, we see a lot of stuff that we are envious to have (aminin!) but in truth, we don't really need. Therefore, I'd like to share my practical tips to first time moms, what you perhaps need or don't need, in buying for your little one. This is merely a rough guide as babies' needs are variable.

1.) NEWBORN CLOTHES

Scouting for cute onesies and floral dresses was my favorite past time when I was pregnant which even intensified when I was told that I was carrying a baby girl. Oh, how much do we love to imagine our little one gloriously looking in those tiny pieces of clothes, right? But mommies, don't get into the trap of buying so many newborn clothes that will eventually end up in the closet as soon as your little munchkin gains weight. Yes, babies grow up so fast! And, perhaps, you don't want to expose her outside in the first two months except for pedia visits, so you don't need fancy dresses yet (for baby girls). Believe me, your baby's cute dress is the last thing on your pedia's mind. Haha! Some moms I know bought bigger sizes for their newborns in preparation for the baby's growth spurt. For Amina, I bought her the following:

         5 onesies (some stores have 3-5 onesies contained in a single pack)
         3-5 body suits (you can find these in a single pack too)
         2 caps
         3 pairs of socks
         5 pairs of mittens


Photo from Pinterest. 


Actually, newborn clothes really depend on the place where you live. If you're in a tropical area, you don't need to put cap on your baby's head as this only traps heat and may cause damage. Onesies are the best to keep her cool during the day while body suits are worn during the night. When we had a vacation in Marawi late last year, I had my baby wear body suits day and night because of the cold climate we have up there in the mountains. I even layer her body suit with onesie underneath to keep her extra warm during the night. And before I forget, all your baby's clothes must be cotton to keep her fresh and cool. :)        

2.) FEEDING BOTTLES AND BREAST PUMP

Buying feeding bottles and breast pump really depends whether you would breastfeed or not. Although for me, breastfeeding is a MUST but there may be cases when a mother has to stop breastfeeding for various reasons. My breastfeeding journey was the toughest I have ever encountered thus far as a mother. It was harder than I thought! I was really inclined to raise my daughter in an organic way (i.e., starting off with normal delivery to breastfeeding and the use of cloth diapers) but I had to accept that I have limitations too. I suffered from sore nipples to low milk supply so the breast pump was a major help! I couldn't stress further the numerous pros that breastfeeding offers so I suggest that on the 38th week of your pregnancy, first time moms should start taking breast milk booster capsules (fenugreek or malunggay) and start massaging their chest so you can latch your little one as early as possible. In my case, my milk came out on the third day so I had no choice but to feed her on a bottle first before introducing my breast.

Photo from Pinterest. I used this exact kind of breast pump. 

Breast pumps are available in different brands, either manual or electric. Thinking that I am a full time mom, I didn't splurge on the electric pump (man, it's costly!) so I bought the manual one. I had the Medela brand since it's recommended by the hospital where I gave birth plus it has excellent reviews. The downside of the manual breast pump, is well, it's manual. Late into my pregnancy, I developed carpal tunnel syndrome that manual pumping aggravated the pain on my wrists. But I endured for the love of liquid gold. Haha! Anyway, if you get the latching right, you wouldn't need a breast pump anyway especially when you're a full time mom. For working moms who are going to return to work after their two-month maternity leave, electric breast pumps are highly recommended so that milk supply is continuous even when they're at work. Therefore, I shall be saving for an electric pump for my next babies. In shaa Allah.

If you really have to use bottles, pick the BPA-free ones. BPA or bisphenol A is a chemical compound usually found in plastic materials, including baby bottles, and are proven to disrupt endocrine function when ingested. In other words, hazardous. For me, no particular brand is better than the other. So long as it poses no health risk for your baby and he/she is comfortable when feeding from it, then go. :)

3.) STROLLER

Buying a stroller really depends on your lifestyle. We live in the heart of the city where malls and parks are walking-distance away. Since we're always outdoors especially on weekends, the husband and I decided to get one. Strollers come in different sizes, weight and of course, price. There are those which are ridiculously pricey that will leave you with a gaping mouth when you see the price tag. Haha! We bought the Graco Full Size Travel System which comes in a six-wheeled stroller and a car seat which can also be used as a rocker. We got it at a very reasonable price (it was on sale!) that I think it was the most practical item I splurged on plus we even maximized its usage! We don't have a car here but the car seat was used as a rocker when Amina was little. We don't have the traditional duyan or baby hammock here that most of us Meranaos are raised in so the car seat-slash-rocker and even her stroller were her makeshift hammocks. Until she was four months old, she sleeps on her stroller before I transfer her to our bed.

Amina inside her car seat/rocker of her stroller when she was barely a month old. 


If you think a stroller will be of great use to you, pick the sturdy one. I am very happy with our stroller because it has huge tires than the regular ones so we can go mountain climbing with this! Haha! No, I'm kidding, but I also like its huge storage bin which can accommodate our grocery bags!

5.) BABY CARRIER

Some parents would opt out buying baby carrier when they have strollers already. But again, this would really depend on your traveling style or your lifestyle per se. On Amina's first week of life, we brought her to the pedia and we were kinda frustrated that her stroller didn't fit inside the taxi compartment! Blame those huge wheels add to the fact that taxis here use gas for fuel so the tank uses up much of the space. We had to squeeze her stroller inside the passenger seat. That's when I decided to get a baby carrier. I frequently see babywearing Thai and Japanese moms here which I find so cute. There are many types of carriers as well and varies in price. I initially wanted the baby wrap which is made up of a stretchable cloth material and is appropriate for newborn babies (plus, plenty of cute designs to choose from!), but when Jabar and I were inside the store, the saleslady demonstrated how it is being used. Jabar find the wrapping process so complicated that we looked for an easier alternative. There's a caveat in using baby carriers though, make sure that you use inserts in the first three months to prevent hip dysplasia. I didn't buy an insert for Amina's carrier but I used rolled blankets where she can sit on. I removed the rolled blankets as soon as she can already straddle.

At Suvarnabhumi Airport as we wait for our flight home.

Apart from being light and hassle-free, babywearing increases your bond with your child as you carry her closely to your chest. I so love it that we frequently use her carrier more than her stroller now. I have proved that babywearing is more practical when we went home to the Philippines for a short vacation. It was easier to squeeze in the crowd and the baby feels much more secured. Additional tip: if your baby finds it hard to sleep at night and wants to be carried and swayed, put her in the carrier. Amina sleeps faster this way.    

6.) PLAYPEN OR CRIB

Again, this depends on your choice to co-sleep or not. We bought a playpen instead of a wooden crib because we are thinking of something that can be disassembled easily and would fit inside a balikbayan box the moment we return to our bayang sinilangan. On her first two nights with us, we had Amina sleep inside the playpen but we couldn't sleep well because we are so paranoid that even her breathing wakes us up! Hahaha! So we decided to co-sleep so it doesn't need much effort when we attend to her needs in the middle of the night. Also, I can just open my eyes when I need to check on her (if she's still breathing) and then go back to sleep again. No need to get up. There are also co-sleepers available now, it's like a crib that can be attached to your bed so it feels like you're co-sleeping  and it minimizes the risk of you rolling over your baby. But it's pricey for my standard so it was off my list. Haha!

Taking a nap inside her playpen. 

For me, a playpen or a crib should not be on the must-buy list. Amina got to use her playpen when she was five months already, that was when she was already moving using her tummy that she no longer stays put in one place. To keep her secured when I'm doing household chores, I put her inside the playpen so she can do anything she wants. If you're quite strained on the budget, a playpen or a crib may come later.



7.) ACTIVITY GYM


Amina at 3 months

You don't really need to buy an activity gym before your baby pops out, the same goes for baby bassinet and all other cute baby stuff you see on Instagram! Haha! I only bought this one for Amina after reading that it offers tremendous developmental benefits for the little munchkin. The brightly colored dangling toys provide cognitive, visual perception and motor skills development. She enjoyed it so much that I used to leave her on the activity gym while I do household chores. But when she started kicking the arches forcefully that some of the toys are falling off and she started to roll over and explore by crawling on her tummy, then I thought it was time to keep the activity gym for her next siblings. Haha! She got to use it for two months only, that's when I would put her inside the playpen for her safety.

8.) THERMOMETER, DIAPER CREAM

These two are must-haves in every mommy's stash. As soon as you brought home your newborn, there are cascading illnesses that may manifest as hypothermia rather than fever. Dehydration from inadequate milk intake, common among exclusively breastfeeding moms with low milk supply, may cause fever. Before panicking, make sure that you've monitored her temperature with your trusted thermometer.

However inevitable, diaper rashes can be prevented by keeping you baby's soft bum dry and frequently changing her nappy. When you can't avoid a diaper rash, make sure to apply a diaper cream on the affected areas before putting on a new diaper. I cannot recommend any brand here, I guess so long as it contains moisturizing agent like lanolin then it will do. I heard some moms put petroleum jelly but I think it's too sticky.

9.) CLOTH DIAPER VS DISPOSABLE DIAPER 

Like I said earlier, I wanted to go organic with my baby and because I sympathize with the environment I prepared for cloth diapering. I bought cloth diapers aka lampin and diaper shells/covers but not too many, just enough to test the waters. My siblings and I were raised using cloth diapers, so it's not unusual for me and I perfectly know how to use it because I did change my siblings' diapers way back. Hehe. But, when you're a new mom without any helper at all, the last thing you would want to do is the laundry every single day!!! So after a week of cloth diapering, I gave up. Screw the environment. Haha! I'm kidding! Really, it's a lot of hard work. I salute every mom out there who survived cloth diapering and doing the laundry on their own. Salute to my Mom!!!! Yes, Mama did everything way back when we were small. Our house helps wouldn't stay with us longer due to the heavy work load. Those were my training years too as I would help Mama in everything around the house. Without straying far from the topic, I use disposable diapers for Amina now simply because I'm lazy when it comes to doing the laundry. Haha! It's my least favorite household chore but I still do it anyway. As for the brand, I tried Mamypoko (here in Bangkok), Pampers (when we were in the Philippines) and Huggies and I go for Huggies. It holds more pee than the other brands I've tried. My issue with Mamypoko was that there's a chemical odor emanating from the diaper as soon as my baby pees.

The bottomline of this entry is to think twice or even thrice before buying baby stuff which might only end up in the junk. You should tailor what you are going to buy according to your lifestyle and most importantly, to your budget. Think of what YOUR BABY NEEDS not what YOU WANT FOR YOUR BABY. Most importantly, consult other moms who have wide experience in child rearing and can provide an objective perspective. Also, never forget to ask your hubby if he's okay with the things you buy. :)

Happy mothering! 

No comments: