October 9, 2010

Day Off

Everybody in my circle of friends (and family members too) outside the med world knows how difficult it is for someone like me to have a "real good time". You know, that laid back afternoon without thinking of anything hospital or school-related. Going out and chit-chatting without chasing the time, forgetting about getting up as early as 5:30 am the next day to be able to catch the morning rounds. Oh, that laid-back and relaxed life. After 2 weeks of rotating in the Pedia ER, OPD and Ward, I started my one-week NICU rotation last Monday and boy, was it helluva week!! I have been the most toxic(-est), yes, with all that superlatives, NICU clerk in the entire Class of 2011. Or so I think? But nobody among my classmates have experienced yet what I have been through. It's the childbirth peak season because counting back to their age of gestations, these kids were most probably made during the winter days---DECEMBER. Now I must admit, I'm a NICU patient magnet. :( I had the most number of admissions, most number of CS babies, most number of neonatal resuscitations, most number of preterm/pathologic babies, I also have babies with Down syndrome (I have two) and another one with Apert syndrome. And oh, I also have outborn cases: neonatal pneumonia, probable Hirschsprung disease, hemorrhagic disease of the newborn (na may pakapin na cephalhematoma), neonate with clavicular and ulnar fracture secondary to birth trauma (I'm contemplating of brachial plexus palsy for this patient). Considering I'm the ONLY NICU clerk, figure out how I try to make both ends meet. Chasing after mothers' pregnancy history and babies' physical examinations including Ballard scoring, left and right referrals in addition to hide-and-seeking game with the residents. I can only laugh. Yes, laugh. Delving into self-pity won't help so better laugh it off. 


Baby boy Manoza. It was love at first sight!!


Since today is a Saturday, we're only to spend half-day of duty. I feel like a bird freed from a cage, literally. Carrying my "luggage" (bags filled with scrub suits, books and essentials of a clerk from a 24-hour duty), I went to a parlor to pamper my overworked nails. After a little while, my phone rang. It was Bit-bit, my highschool friend who's from Saudi and is on a vacation. She asked if I have a vacant time to go out with some of our other friends for a late lunchdate. My eyes sprung out of its socket and I immediately affirmed. I changed from my worn out and stinky uniform to a more appropriate wardrobe and off I went. I terribly miss my girlfriends.

At Fontina with Sham, Bit, Soh and Timos. Great food, great company.

Bit. We've been friends for more than a decade now. 

Goodies from Bit, all the way from KSA. Prayer mat and hijab. Thanks girl!!
Great things occur during ordinary days. We don't know what happens next so it's important to cherish every single moment of our lives even it feels like hell. Sooner or later, hell days will be gone and will replaced with heavenly days. Just endure it with grace and calm, it will soon pay off. InshaAllah. :)



2 comments:

bee said...

adodow, meyacute-cute so baby boy...
doc, if kaya ng katawan, don't pass out the opportunity of girl bonding... pang de-stress yan... hinahanap-hanap ko talaga yung pagkakataong yan...

Aziza said...

Ang daming cute na bata sa NICU. Kahit hindi kasama sa "job description" ko, I always spend time carrying them in my arms. Hehe. MashaAllah. :)

Oo nga, ang sarap mag de-stress. :D Lalo na pag friends ang kasama. :D