September 29, 2011

First duty post: OR assist. It was Monday so there was only one case at OR 8: anterior disc decompression in a 60++ y/o woman with spinal cord compression (SCC) at T9 level, to consider Pott's disease versus Metastasis. Dane scrubbed in while Crystal and I were mere spectators. Hence, I was able to capture the following photos. 


Ortho OR instruments reminds me of building construction. Not that I was into construction or something but you know, they got that nails, screws, hole-drillers, hammer-like instruments (I guess that's called mallet? I'm not so familiar with Ortho instruments.). Ortho is indeed a profession for real men.  I salute the women who opted to be in this men's field. :)


This is the black-streaked lung of the same woman with SCC, most probably due to smoking but the senior resident told us that non-smoking urban dwellers can have the same lung picture. The answer is very obvious: POLLUTION. 



Spinal radiograph of the same patient in lateral view. 


First OR assist: Ilizarov application and fibulectomy. Trivia: ilizarov is applied to the femur to compensate for leg length discrepancy. This can be applied to normal people for leg lengthening. That made me ponder... how about three inches taller? HAHAHAHA! Ta's papagawa ko sa crush kong Ortho resident. Bwahahaha!


Pedia-Ortho Conference. 

We're about to end our Orthopedics rotation but I still know so little!!

No comments: