December 3, 2011

Acute Care Unit-Emergency Room

(late entry)

After the strangling schedule at IM wards for one whole grilling month, we welcomed ourselves to a relatively benign duty at the ER! I say benign because PGH ACU-ER will be subjected to fumigation, hence only "real emergencies" such as cardiac cases, intubated and trauma patients will be admitted! Woot! Alhamdulillah, God has given me some time to breathe! 

However, the scene below shows the LEAST number of patients this institution can accommodate. 


We normally write on a white board the name of our patients under the student-in-charge's (SIC) name to easily keep track on the patients' progress. Last November 30, 4 of us had only 1 patient and no new patient came in! Cheers! This is one of the things I love about PGH--- it is never impossible to close the ER. Back when I was clerk, I always wished for our ER to close!

During this time, we have the power to choose the patients we want to admit while the rest will be transferred to hospital of choice (THOC). 


Yet and again, I'm in the company of boys! Rona and Pat though will return from Medical ICU (MICU) on the second week at the ER in exchange for Borg and AD. This photo was intentionally taken blurred.



Dane's post-birthday dinner treat at Recipes. Duty Team with Jeboy. They talked about boys' stuff, if you know what I mean and I just had to pretend I didn't hear them or just play innocent. Most of the time, I ride on with their jokes and I guess they completely forget that I am a woman. Fine, I am a medical student hence, no fuss. 


Below shows the lecture on cutaneous leishmaniasis with Dr. Henry Murray of Cornell University. Listening to the world's expert on the disease is another opportunity of a lifetime. 


I can't wait for this Internal Medicine rotation to end. I badly need some time off. :)

No comments: