February 3, 2014

The Arrival

We normally see a hanging signboard outside the doctor's clinic informing us that the "Doctor is IN" or if we are unfortunate enough, the "Doctor is OUT". But in my workplace where I am the Rural Health Physician, you don't see those signboards primarily because I don't have a decent office. Well, I SHOULD HAVE a Rural Health Center that constituents of other municipalities normally enjoy. So instead of seeing "Doctor is IN", you'd hear "The doctor has arrived!" and people would come swarming around us like bees. That happens on almost every duty day aTubaran, Lanao del Sur as a Doctor to the Barrio.


                                 

I've been re-deployed for almosthree months now, and apparently, according to the local residents, I'm the only healthworker assigned in the municipality who comes regularly.  The top reasons are:

1. Lack of a Rural Health Center 

    This lack of a major health facility creates a domino effect by hindering ALL health services which are supposed to be provided to the constituents as part of their natural human rights. There was once a functional RHU, according to folktown's tale, but was crushed down to rubbles more than a decade ago by the supporters of a political candidate who losthe election race to the present rulers. More than a decade later, the local chief executive who was sitting for more than three terms in the office, finally thought of building an RHU (as well as a municipal hall!). As of speaking time, our RHU is on it's way to the final touch. 

2. Lack of health workers.

    No health workers have been regularly going in the area for countless years already. The constituents would have the luxury to be visited by doctors only during medical missions, at least once or twice a year if they get luckyThey seek medical consult athe nearby municipality of Binidayan which they will have to hike for at least an hour because of the unpaved, dusty and bumpy road. No health worker coming from the IPHO (Integrated Provincial Health Office) is willing to be assigned in this place, only I and one contractual midwife dared. I always get raised eyebrows and shock on their faces whenever I mentioned the place where I am currently assigned. I don't know why but I'm fine with Tubaran, I like the heartwarming gestures shown by the people as well as the local officials. I personally feel welcome in the area. :) 


For the remaining few months of my contract as Doctor to the Barrio, I intend to maximize my time in the name of health care service delivery. I hope and pray thathe local government speeds up the building of the RHU so we can settle where we should be settling. Presently, we hold our clinic right outside the Mayor's office in his own home. We feel at home din. Haha. 

People sometimes ask why I went into the DTTB program and endure of difficulty of going into the geographically isolated areas and (somehow) stagnating my medical knowledge when I can go into residency to be molded into the "ideal physician" everyone aspires to be. Serving the rural area has taught me to become a better person, my personality took a giant leap from the pushover medical clerk/intern to the one who makes sure that everyone is busy atheir assigned tasks aka the "leader", the "head of the unit". I am still learning to dance with politics as it is already tied up tightly with my job. I failed at my first area of assignment, but I am learning here and I hope I gethe rhythm of the dance. 


No comments: