October 18, 2007

Semestral Brrr-eak!

 Semestral Break was the time I look forward to when I was still an undergraduate student. It is synonymous to sleeping 'till noon, watching movies whole day and whole night, subscribing to unlimited texting, going out freely with friends, and reading fictional books that I missed during the peaks of exams.
          Now that I am in PostGrad School, I still look forward to SemBreak, but it's a lot different now. This is my time to patch up my social obligations with my family and friends. This means attending family affairs/gathering and catching up with friends whom I haven't seen and talked to for quite a long time.
          I got home from Iligan last week (Thursday), a day before the Eid. As expected, I get bombarded with family and organizational events. My family had a small salo-salo at home during the Eid, where my aunts, uncles and cousins traditionally brought food. The next night (Saturday night) follows the RC Rites for the new batch of members (Al-Fatihatul Aq'l), which includes my brother Jalal and my sister Amanee. The RC (Ranao Council) held a special assembly on Sunday, which I wasn't able to attend because I failed to get up early that morning due to fatigue caused by consecutive overnights preceding that day. My body surrendered to the luxury that sleep has to offer. Nevertheless, I went to the RC Dinner that night. Yesterday, Monday, I stayed at home the whole day and did my chores that I owe to my siblings for the entire semester that I've been away from home---cleaning the house, cooking and washing the dishes.
          I am at the Main Library at this very moment (Tuesday), I am planning to do an advance-reading on my Surgery book. This one made a great difference with my SemBreak, I used to throw all my notes and books under my bed when SemBreak comes and forget them for a while. This time, there's no way I'd do the same because I'd be leafing through them over and over again for the next four years, even after Med School I'll still find myself going back into the loving arms of these books.
          I'm halfway into the chapter I'm reading when the framed Map of the World caught my eye. I remember my fascination for world geography and history, so I set my book aside and looked for the World Atlas on the shelf and here I am locating my fave places in the world that I've been targetting to step my feet into in the very near future. 
          For the next two weeks before the opening of the second semester, I'm planning to finish all my L.I.'s (Learning Issues) that I'm going to present on the first day of school, finish reading Memoirs of a Geisha and The Zahir, finish House, M.D. series, visit to ukay-ukay, and more bonding with friends (ASS Kickers and Lily).

1 comment: