April 13, 2011

Elusive Time

It is my lifetime goal to be able to see the world and appreciate its wonders. My undergrad course (BS Zoology) allowed me to wander at some tourist spots in the Philippines for educational purposes, i.e., studying flora and fauna. We've been to Camiguin Island, Apo Island at Negros Oriental, Bukidnon, Dumaguete City, Bohol, and a lot of places where nature manifests its beauty. My course took me to places in my own land, Lanao, that I had never been before and discovered the magnificence that lies behind the great Lake Lanao and the virgin mountains surrounding it. In med school, I grabbed every opportunity such as conventions to be able to travel. We roamed around Davao when we were freshmen, and when the APMC-Annual Convention was held at UP Manila during our sophomore year, we had a side trip at the cool city of Tagaytay and all through out Laguna and visited the beaches of Cavite. Philippines is a beautiful country indeed and there is yet so much to see. 


Two years ago, I had my passport ready. I remember my parents asking WHY I am working on a passport. I told them that I want to travel outside the country most probably just around Asia after med school which will serve as my gift to myself for an...ahem...a job well done. With my persuasive power, I convinced my friends to have their passports ready too and save up for the trip. We had it planned and our first stop was supposedly:

MALAYSIA!!


Photo courtesy of Google. Thank you very much.


And then we are supposed to have a side trip to:

SINGAPORE!!

Again, from Google. Thank you!
We already had our travel itinerary and boy was I excited!! This is a dream come true!! I pictured myself exploring Kuala Lumpur, riding a cable car to Genting Island, visiting International Islamic University at Selangor where my father impressed a beautiful memory, and of course walking down the busy street of Orchard Road at Singapore where Ken Zhu grew up!! 

BUT. 
After our graduation rites, I looked at my calendar and realized how less time left we have before we go and proceed to internship. If the trip would push through, that gives me little less than a week to be able to spend time with my family at home. That made me re-think things over. And as always, I weighed the pros and the cons. The cons won. I backed out and explained to my friends my reason and I am more than happy to hear when S told me she won't be forcing me to come and she respects my decision. As I said in my previous post, I felt such a relief. I felt like I was freed from the pressure of chasing time which must be completely absent when one is traveling. 

Malaysia and Singapore can wait, but the amount of time I would be spending with my family is priceless. :)

P.S.
Due to the same reason, i,e, scarcity of time, my friends realized the pressure the trip brings. Hence, none of us will go. Some other time, Insha Allah. 

No comments: