June 25, 2011

RIP, Des. :'(

Along with the drizzly morning, my clogged nasal cavity and nonproductive cough came the news of her untimely death. The entire day was gloomy as though the world mourns her passing.

Our friendship started when we became classmates in junior high school, we weren't really that close as we had our respective barkadas but I came to know her better during senior high when we both write for our school gazette. We had our occasional trips to downtown Iligan City to "check on the progress" of the school paper and "do some editing". Those were the days when my parents' strictness was at its peak. To make things more convenient for us, Des would volunteer their house for a sleep over then we'd go back to Marawi early the following day. Just like some common all-girls sleep over, we'd watch movies and talk about stuff. I don't remember the movies anymore but I perfectly remember the arrangement of their house at Del Carmen and her hospitality (aka, she prepares no-pork food for me). Des was one of the sweetest girls in class. When we separated ways in college, she'd really make beso-beso three times just the way Muslims do whenever we saw each other at the university "canopies", she hugs so tight and will never fail to say "I miss you" wearing her sincerely sweet smile. 

It wasn't long ago, around October 2010 if I'm not mistaken when she was diagnosed to have acute myelocytic leukemia. Ironically, the most curable leukemia. The last time I checked on her was she was undergoing treatment so my jaw dropped when Jessie called me up in the morning to announce her death. :( All the while I thought she was on the road to recovery.

Desiree T. Taburada, RN. 
Des, know that I am forever grateful for being a tiny piece in your colorful life. Thank you for the wonderful friendship which will forever be cherished. Without you, Quasar 2003 will NEVER be complete. Wherever you are, may your rest in eternal peace. 

2 comments:

Aya said...

:'( i'm glad to have read this piece. i din't get to really know her. all i know is that she is kuya kim's sister and he loves her so much or rather they're very sweet siblings. she's finally rested now. she must've had a tough time dealing with the cancer. my condolences to her family and friends... it must be very tough too for you all to lose someone so young and lovable. but i understand she lived a sweet life.

bee said...

omg! so young... i'm on the verge of crying after reading this piece. will be praying for her.