November 10, 2011

Birthday Post

(an overdue post. written November 6)

My age has climbed a notch higher. The only thing that puts pressure to people about getting a year older is the direct proportion of accomplishments associated with ageing. At certain age, society expects you to be like this or like that. Otherwise, you’re a failure to everybody’s eyes. I don’t agree with society dictating us how we should do about things but I absolutely agree that we must not hold ourselves stagnant only because we repel society’s standards. For every birthday comes the annual self-assessment: the meaningful things we have done and how we have contributed in our own tiny ways to the evolution of humanity. We ask ourselves how much we have learned from the dynamics of our daily lives and how much we adapted to the unsuitable conditions we try to crouch into. 

What now at 26? 

A decade ago, I see myself 10 years from my 16th birthday as someone that is so NOT me right now. I still can’t believe I’m already 26. I can be categorized as a WOMAN, there’s no confusion on that. I’m way past that confusion phase. Honestly, it took me six long years to finally sink in that I’m no longer a teenager, especially now that I’m PAST MID-TWENTIES! The truth is, as we age, we do not really let go of that child in us. We merge maturity with that tiny voice of childhood in us. I believe that if we strike a balance between the two, playing the role of an adult will come naturally and smoothly. 

Nothing really life-changing happened to me this past year, but I must say that I have increased understanding about life, love and people. I learned plenty about myself which quite surprised me a bit. I learned to fight for what I believe is right as much I learned the vital role of communication in knowing and opening the minds of people. I learned to carefully choose the people I will trust and most importantly, I know now the specific people who will run to my aid when I fall on my knees. Unfortunately on the other hand, I have specifically identified the people who will turn their backs on me in the middle of a battle. Sigh. But hey, life is beautiful! Let’s us not dwell on the negative ones, such thoughts contribute to premature ageing and we don’t like that. Allow me to welcome myself into the world of adulthood with radiant and glowing positive vibes! 

At 26, I still have so many things to improve about myself and so many things to accomplish and I’m taking things step by step. Life is just so beautiful it deserves to be celebrated every single day! Cheers to the adult, 26 year old me! 



P.S. 

I feel so lucky for having the Eid’l Adha fall on my birthday. I celebrated the day with my cousins as we also celebrated the Aqiqa of Fia, the additional angel of our family. Thanks to everyone who sent their sweetest greetings in every way that they knew. You made me feel so special! Allah bless you all! 

No comments: