November 24, 2011

Taft Avenue

I grew up in a healthy environment where people opt to walk from their homes to their offices or schools. It would only take us 5-10 minutes to reach our destinations. We don't have heavy traffic to blame for our tardiness because we live inside the Mindanao State University Main Campus. I have developed the love for walking out of necessity. Even after we purchased our family car, my father didn't send us to school on wheels unless there's a typhoon that inhibits us to trudge our way to school. Back then, my siblings and I would hope for a heavy rain either in the morning or in the afternoon so that our father would be left without a choice but to drive us to or from school. :) 

I used to walk with my friends. It was during those times that we discuss about our day, our sheer hopes and building our dreams. We were a bunch of teenagers who can leave a household flustered with our boisterous laughter and giggles as we pass our way from 4th street all the way to our homes. Since I live at the farthest street (8th), I was the last person to reach home. I was the only one among my girls who's left walking alone. I loved those solitary moments as I muse about the forces that create my world. As I pace towards home, I recapitulate the day and plan for the following day. 

Here in the metro, walking from my home to the hospital is like a punishment. Our building faces Taft Avenue so this should have my normal route towards PGH. I do not expect my fresh fragrance to be preserved when I pass by these:


This scene is not just a pain in the eyes but also an irritation to the nose!!! Mixed stench of dried urine, dirty canal and all possible human waste you can think of!!!







Ooopss! Ate caught me taking a shot at her! 


All kinds of pollution are present here. 


So there, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the Philippines. 


Since I cannot do anything about the perennial problem our country have, first I must accept that I LIVE IN THE PHILIPPINES and second I need to find a way to avoid the situation. Thanks to the existence of UP Manila (Pedro Gil street) beside PGH. UP Campus has become my regular route towards the hospital. Calm, cool, less pollution. 





I regained my love for walking. I didn't really mind about my toned gastrocnemius. :) 

1 comment:

aya said...

stressful talaga. so far the most emotionally straining na sight for me kay sa ortigas station. for one, naay newborn babe gilatag sa floor with only a cardboard as hapin para makapanglimos ang mama! shucks! my insides were revolting gyud.
:'(