December 23, 2011

Say No To Prejudice!

As I scroll down my Facebook homepage, I come across this post by Atty. Algamar Latiph to Atty. Toie Mitmug's  page. 


"Glad to hear that Anti-Ethnic, Racial or Religious Discrimination and Profiling Act of 2011 is in bicameral committee. glad to be one of the first lawyers who wrote the first working draft during the time of then AMIN Cong now RG Mujiv Hataman who first introduced and sponsored the bill at the House of Rep. I still remember when we sat with Amie Sangcopan and Raissa Jajurie i think on Nov 5 2008 at Greenhouse. Couple Atty Toie Alonto Biruar-Mitmug and Ras Mitmug also volunteered. Hopefully, this bill will be enacted into law so Muslims in this country can have a legal mechanism to redress wrong against discrimination on account of ethnicity and religion."


I am more than glad to know that there are people who exerted an effort for passing such bill. Majority of non-Muslim Filipinos, especially those in the northern area (Yes, I mean Luzon and the National Capital Region) may deny that there is an actual racial discrimination going on, as they claim that we are their "Muslim brothers" who enjoy the same rights as everyone else. However, they may be unconscious of their words or actions, but racial and/or religious stereotyping is an undying epidemic.  For instance, I was walking with a male co-intern to grab a lunch when my phone rang. It was my cousin who I normally greeted with "Assalamu'alaikom"  preceding our conversation. I absolutely heard this male co-intern let go of a loud sneering sound while I was talking over the phone. As I put down my phone, he asked me what "Assalamu'alaikom" means so I did a little lecture on how we, Muslims, politely greet one another. As the person that he is who keeps on teasing me a lot about every little thing, he said: "Hindi eh. Sinasabi nyo yun kasi by default, at war kayo sa lahat ng tao kaya kelangan niyong i-declare muna na at peace kayo with the person na kakausapin niyo". He was saying those words guiltlessly while a mocking smile was painted on his chubby face. And then our endless debate about my being a Muslim and his being a judgmental, narrow-minded person began (Of which, he wholeheartedly claim that he is a bad, bad, judgmental person). He would utter sentences that imply prejudice such as, for instance, when I unintentionally commit a mistake, he'd say "Ganyan ba talaga kayo?", or, "Muslim na 'to oh". He say those words in a joking manner, because he's really funny by nature, but I honestly take those words as a form of discrimination. And yes, I tell it to his face how pernicious he is. But you know, you can never straighten a crooked perception until you show them the truth through actions.

I think it's pathetic that we actually NEED to create a LAW so that majority of this nation's citizens will change the way they see us. But this is just the first of the baby steps towards achieving "total freedom" without declaring independence from the entire system. 

And yes, I am more than glad for the passing of this bill because when the time comes, I can literally file a lawsuit against this co-intern of mine who enjoys and loves bullying me. Hah! *evil grin* Now I can actually hear him say "Ganyan naman talaga kayo eh!". 

1 comment:

bee said...

ang dami ko i comment but i don't know where to start. it hurts kasi hearing about things like this happening, but sadly it is reality. sometimes, in other matters, we too are guilty of it, often when we generalize our view point.
Going back to religious or ethnic discrimination, i can totally relate having grown up in MSU then moving to a city, i feel that I often have to explain or defend the Muslim ways. But sadly, no offense meant, doc, there were also moments where I had to explain myself as a Catholic or Christian.
Society is cruel.