February 25, 2012

PedSx


My surgical subspecialty of choice. Too bad I only have one week to bask in the subjects of Intussusception, Hirschprung's disease, Imperforate Anus and other pediatric surgical cases. It's frustrating though that subspecialty rotating interns do not assist in their ORs. :'( I wanna see how PSARP (posterior sagittal anorectal plasty) procedure  and pediatric intestinal anastomosis are being done. :'(
I don't have plans of pursuing surgery but this sparks some curiosity in me. 


The only pediatric surgical OR I assisted was herniotomy at the Major OPD OR which was done in like 30 minutes, my gloves weren't even stained!! 

By the way, we have a rotating German intern  from a certain university in Germany. I don't talk to him much like I would do to someone I can easy-breezily have a conversation with mostly because I have difficulty understanding his accent!! Lol! German-English accent!! Nakaka-nosebleed!! So I would usually allow him to do his thing while I do mine and ask him once in a while how he's doing. Awkward? Hahaha!


We had a laparoscopy workshop along with PedSx residents and consultants. It was fun manipulating beads and rubber bands by using the graspers just like in an actual laparoscopy although it takes huge amount of patience and good hand-eye coordination!!! If I would become a surgeon, I would most probably opt for an open laparotomy than laparoscopy!! Haha!! 

On another news,  I found the perfect place for studying!!! Taaadaa!!!

It's a walking distance coffeeshop near our place where everybody goes not to chat but to read! Awesome! So you get to read books with pure serenity, plus the high-ceiling structure of the place allows enough light for ventilation. :) This place is a huge help for me to avoid many temptations at home: TV, internet, bed, and fridge. :) 


Also, our photo with a cardiac pacemaker recipient patient was published in Heart and Health Magazine. This was taken during my MICU (medical ICU) rotation, and together with the resident-in-charge, Ma'am Gelay, we posed for this photo which was sent to Heartbeat International Foundation and Pusong Pinoy Foundation for the purpose of seeking funds for this lucky patient. 
Credit goes to my blockmate Alaric Salonga for taking this one. If you look closely, he manually wrote his name underneath the photo while bantering why his name wasn't on it. Lol! 

*All photos were taken using my iPod. Such poor qualities, my point-and-shoot Canon should have been used for that DSLR-like shots I'm so proud of. Haha. 

1 comment:

Aya said...

wow doc! level up :D