March 24, 2012

Wrapped Up ORL

This is a two-week late entry for we were already done with otorhinolaryngology (ORL) a.k.a ENT for ears, nose and throat. I was a bit of having a cold feet for this rotation since we didn't have it back in clerkship. The last time I studied ORL was during the upper respiratory module in medschool freshman year!!! That was eons ago, my friends! This is a confession, but yes, I just learned about the thorough ENT exam here in PGH!! I compelled myself to master it in anyway that I can---identifying the normal tympanic membrane from the perforated ones and visualizing the vocal cords and the posterior nasopharynx no matter how the patient gags! And I'm more than glad that after two weeks of our rotation, I brought with me a lot of things I didn't know before. Naks!! Hail, ORL! Hail, ORL!

What we do at the OPD. I'm so sorry Suzie for capturing your awkward moment! Hahaha!


This is Fiona, 5/F, who came in due to a foul discharge dripping out of her right nostril. She's so makulit but very cooperative little girl. Children her age are expected to revolt and throw tantrums upon examination, but her? No, she gaily sat on the examination seat and followed every single step of instruction! I wish all kids are like her! Haha! After suctioning her nostril for a better view of the turbinates, we found a greenish rubber material that was inserted deep inside her nose!! Apparently, her classmate put it there and was accidentally pushed deeper when she inhaled that they could no longer pull it back. She didn't report the incident to her mom until that day we found the foreign body inside her nose. Hahaha! Kalokang bata ito!



This is Dr. Caparas. Being the FIRST alumnus of the Philippine General Hospital Otorhinolaryngology Department, he is an institution in this field. He graduated in the 1960s, the time when ophthalmology was still incorporated in ORL. He's also the author of the book I used to read back in medschool. It's kinda awesome hearing straight from the authors. I remember my OB-GYN days when the people who wrote the Clinical Practice Guidelines used all over the country are those consultants teaching us during the Malignancy or Trophoblastic rounds. Great. Great. :) 

For a speck of time, I considered ORL as a specialty field because it's both surgical and medical plus the cases are really interesting. However, upon realization that the field deals with all the most filthy and most despicable odor you will ever smell in your entire life coming from all the cavities of the head, my friends, I changed my mind. Hahahaha!!! I really enjoyed ORL, I must say, one of the best rotations ever!! :) 


No comments: