January 4, 2014

Rich Or Poor ? Which One Are You?

I only get to read this book one year after I purchased it. I lost sight of it after my brother borrowed it AND benefited from it. Now's my turn. Aha!

It basically talked about HOW TO GET RICH. Interesting? Haha! Mind you, it doesn't come easy. OF COURSE. The author who is a multi-millionaire business mogul described his educated dad (the poor one) and the one who did not finish schooling (he called the rich dad) and their view on money and their difference in terms of financial literacy. He offered a solution on how to avoid a trap in life (where most of us are caught and can't seem to get out of it) called Rat Race. It is the pattern of getting up, working and paying bills. Especially among us government employees, you work hard and then the government cut their share from your salary through taxes before you even receive it, and then pay your bills, and the cycle goes on until your retirement. The government offer us promotion and a consequent salary raise and then we also increase our spending. According to him, many people do not realize that in life, IT'S NOT HOW MUCH MONEY WE MAKE BUT HOW MUCH MONEY WE KEEP. He also emphasized the importance of FINANCIAL LITERACY, because money without financial intelligence is money soon gone. He also put a difference on how the poor and the rich people spend their money. Poor and the middle-class buy luxury first while rich people buy luxury last. Ahem. Ring any bell? Haha! He also cited a lot of success and failure stories of rich people. 

After learning about the Rat Race, I know now why my family is not rich. First, because my parents are both government employees and the government cut taxes more than we can actually spend. And second, we don't have a business or any investment. We don't have investment because we barely have money left at the end of the month to invest. Or perhaps, my parents are financially illiterate. That's the blunt truth. Mr. Kiyosaki talked about highly educated people who struggle financially because of financial illiteracy. My parents and many people I know who works for the government are no different. 

Hence, for 2014, it is on my checklist to be financially literate and to "mind my own business". 
Any business idea? :) 


No comments: