August 6, 2015

Colors of the World

Seeing some friends and celebrities on Instagram (wish I could say "celebrity friends", haha!) get into adult coloring books as a relaxing hobby brought me back to my kindergarten and gradeschool years when my Mom used to scold me for creating a "bad artwork". I suck at every art class I know. I don't follow the "one-direction stroke" policy in coloring, plus, I was bad at drawing. Unfortunately I didn't know that abstract form of arts do exist so I can use it as a valid excuse. Hehe. I see this now as the reason why I appreciate artists and their works since I am incapable of creating such. I have to admit, I wasn't endowed with that gift.  

A week ago, my OB advised me not to walk around too much since the baby's head has already entered my pelvis (we call it engagement in medical parlance), I did a self-imposed bed rest while also waiting for my parents' arrival. I want them to be here beside me when I give birth. So I thought, aside from reading and watching TV, I can also make use of my time by returning to an unfulfilled childhood accomplishment in the coloring department! Time to redeem myself from the judgment of my own mother! Hah!                          

                           

I went to Siam Paragon and to Emporium to look for a coloring book but to no avail. Thank God for Kinokuniya, they have all kinds of coloring books for adult that came with a morale booster! I picked the Creative Coloring Flowers by Valentina Harpers as flowers seem more relaxing than abstract drawings. 

My first work using colored pencils.
While executing the strokes and making sure that I don't go beyond the lines, I had several stuff play inside my head: 

1.) Those tiny details contribute to the beauty of the whole picture. We always say that little things in life matter, I can't agree more. We always aspire for a better life when we have everything that we want and need staring right at us, we just don't take notice and let them slip by. I am at a point in my life when a single message from any of my siblings and a Facetime conference with my parents are priceless. Then I remember all those mundane things we do at home, those tiny squabbles with my brothers, all those things I used to shrug about defined the kind of family I have. While living here in Bangkok, I want to keep vividly in my mind all the moments I wait for my husband to come home, our daily cooking and coffee bonding sessions, the walk in the park or in the mall..every little thing..because these seemingly mundane daily routine contribute to the beauty of the bigger story. 

2.) With persistence and hardwork, you will come a long way. I have been suffering from pregnancy-related carpal tunnel syndrome for more than a month now, but the numbness of my fingers and the pain on my wrist didn't stop me from pushing the strokes! Haha! Effort much, eh?  


3.) I thought, at my age, coloring would be an easy job. Contrary to it's "relaxing" slogan, selecting colors that blend perfectly with each other and those that in synch with nature would come as a pain in my head. No wonder most artists stereotypically look unkempt. Haha! 

4.) Never underestimate the capacity of anything/anyone. Subdued colors may just perfectly blend into the loud ones, sometimes they are even more noticeable. So stay humble and never look down or step on anyone because you think you are better. Bilog ang mundo, you know. 

"Friends are flowers in the garden of life." SUBSTANTIAL friends, that is. 


I am currently on my fifth coloring artwork. It's fun while I am waiting for the little one's arrival, I am not sure if I can squeeze this in between breastfeeding, changing diapers, cooking and tidying the house. Haha! Good luck to me, then. :) 

1 comment:

Nessreen said...

It looks so difficult, pero ang ganda!