February 11, 2011

Patho/Rehab

After Anesth/Derma comes Patho/Rehab Med. Pathology in the morning and Rehab Med in the afternoon. I have seen so many things in the Patho clinic that one wouldn't ordinarily see in the hospital, or some things that we wouldn't normally mind but are clinically significant. "Little things do matter", 'ika nga. And I am so surprised how I am so ignorant of such little things I sometimes want to melt in shame. At the same time, there are countless things that amazed me. 

Back in the OB-GYN module in junior med, I was able to read up on mature ovarian teratomas which are presumably derived from ectodermal differentiation of totipotential cells. Normally, one would find hairs, cheesy sebaceous materials, tooth, bones, and rarely, brain tissues in the ovary. Common beliefs would blame witchcrafts or adultery with evil, but of course, we are in the 21st century where almost everything can be explained by science. When I was an OB-GYN clerk, we rarely have gynecologic cases. Most ovarian cases I was able to assist to in the OR were either serous or mucinous cystadenomas judging from their gross appearances. Only in the patho lab was I able to see dermoid cyst which we were able to identify immediately by the hairs and the sebaceous materials!! There was even a nipple protrusion and a piece of tooth found!! 

Dermoid cyst.

Aaaahh!! There are so many fascinating things in the Patho lab. For instance, when you see your crush's pleural fluid for cytology exam. And you'd be like "what? oh, what could be happening to him?". And there you see, under the power of the microscope that he's positive for Koch's infection aka TB!!! Eeew. He's a health worker so he's prone to that. All of us, Filipinos, have 95% possibility of having a latent tuberculous infection. Just don't get that immune system of yours down.  Whatever, he's still my crush. My tall and lanky crush who made my surgery days a lot more inspiring. Yiheeee.  <3


Add caption
In the Rehab clinic, all we do is to observe what is being done to the patients after our lectures. Mostly are post-stroke, s/p ORIF, those with Bell's palsy, scoliosis and other musculoskeletal diseases. Shengot and I roam around like kids trying some of the modalities used.


Sheng trying on the crutches.

Pretending to meditate using the vestibular ball.

We also tried paraffin waxing (i loooovee!!!) and the different electrotherapies. I pray none of my family members and friends would suffer anything that would bring them to the Rehab because I swear you wouldn't like the feeling of electricity permeating through your muscles!! Even with 9 volts only, it shook my muscles like crazy I so hate the feeling!!! Brrr... 



*****
This is another story. 
In line with being a med student, we're taught to investigate like a journalist. We ask who, why, when, where, how. It came to my knowledge that someone we closely know has chronic Hepa B infection, and presently has psoas abscess and his attending cannot completely rule out malignancy. I feel for him and his family. I know they're keeping this a secret because of the Hepa B infection which connotes his true sexual preference. I don't care he's homo, he's still a very good friend and I wouldn't judge him because of that. This time around, he cannot deny, his illness spoke in his behalf.I'm still deciding whether to visit him in the hospital. Most probably, I would. As a friend, I cannot do anything but pray for his early recovery. InshaAllah. Ameen. 



2 comments:

BabyPink said...

Medyo nahilo ako sa terms as I couldn't really understand most of the medical terms! But, I can see how much you are enjoying everything. You'll be a great doctor!:)

Hey, giyanan a friend ka a dii ngka diitharoon na common friend natin, right? So miya-close ko isa very close friend ka mambo before? Phangnin ta a baden mapiya. Ameen.

Aziza said...

Thanks Ate ko!! :))

And yes, you got it right! Siya nga. Phangnin tano ko Allah a makabager skanian sa magaan ka mataan ko toxic. Tsk tsk. :(