September 17, 2013

Malaria Strikes!

Malaria is a parasitic infection that is endemic in tropical countries including Nigeria, where my husband Jabar works. He was having chills two days ago and low-grade fever accompanied by body malaise. I was already contemplating on malaria but I was in denial initially. This is his second bout of infection so he must have known the symptoms. He was telling me it could be malaria, I told him to observe it for 24 hours and have supportive treatment first. Forty eight hours later, his symptoms didn't relent so he took blood smearing test for malaria. His result is (+2). Subhanallah! Confirmed. 


Malaria is a potentially life-threatening disease caused by infection with Plasmodium protozoa transmitted by an infective female Anopheles mosquito. It has a high mortality rate if untreated but has an excellent prognosis if diagnosed early and treated appropriately. Apparently, uncomplicated cases of malaria in Nigeria does not call for immediate hospital admission. In fact, Jabar bought the meds (artemether/lumefantrin or Coartem) over-the-counter.


How do we prevent malaria? I've been constantly reminding Jabar to always put on Off lotion and use mosquito nets when he sleeps. But he can be stubborn sometimes, even feeling invincible. The only way to prevent is by wearing protective clothings, using insect repellent lotions and sprays and using bed nettings soaked in insecticides (yes, they are commercially available). Drug prophylaxis can be taken by travelers to places with high malarial endemicity. Presently, no vaccine has been approved to prevent malaria but scientific studies on the vaccine is already on its way. 

Jabar finished his first day of treatment (treatment lasts for 3 days with a total of 24 tablet intakes) and is experiencing the worst side effects---headache, dizziness and loss of appetite. And I feel so bad that I'm not even there to see over and take care of him. If I could have the power of teleportation, I would do so in an instant. :( Right now, I can only offer my prayers and making sure that he's taking his meds on time. 

Please get well soon, my love. 

No comments: