December 13, 2014

Weekend in Pattaya

When the husband mentioned about a possible consular outreach, I was really excited! The plan was initially in the southern island of Phuket, but was changed to the nearby Pattaya City in Chonburi province because of increased airfare during the holiday seasons. I wasn't disappointed because wherever province we go, it would mean straying away from my daily housewife routine and traveling for free!! Hehe! The consular team, me and one of husband's officemate's family who were also tagging along, checked-in in a hotel owned by a Filipino. It's called Hotel Vista Pattaya  which employs Filipino staff so, for the first time here in Thailand, I hadn't had difficulty asking for and understanding directions and it felt so much at home being with the homies! Naks, homies! Haha!

Complimentary fruits 

If you get to visit their website, I think our room is called the Club Luxx, an upgrade of the Deluxe Room "with an extra touch of youthful design". I checked on the price and was quite surprised that with the kind of amenities that provides comfort and convenience for the clients plus a super delish breakfast buffet, per night only costs 2,200 baht!! That's roughly around 2,800 Php. Not bad, 'di ba? If you come in a group of 4, super sulit na 'yan!  

If you come in a group, kasyang kasya kayo sa king size bed na yan. :)
                      
The sleek and chic bathroom and powder nook. 

What's also great about Hotel Vista (don't I deserve to get paid with this kind of hotel promotion? Haha! I should make this a job! Patty Laurel lang and peg.) is it's very accessible location. It is situated in the heart of Pattaya City so most of establishments catering to a tourist's needs can be hiked! The famous Pattaya beach is like three minutes away so as restaurants and convenience stores. I've been roaming around whole day while the husband was at work. Not all establishments and tourists spots are accessible by foot though, that's where Songthaews come to the rescue. It is a pick-up with seats at the back and is the general mode of transportation around the city. It is akin to our very own jeepney as tuk-tuk is to a pedicab/tricycle. 

Songthaew

According to the tourism promotion flyers, the Pattaya Bay Area is one of Asia's largest beach resort, no wonder it is the second most visited city in Thailand. Tourists from all races, mostly Caucasians are scattered basking under the sun. It also offers water sports such as jet skiing and parasailing. With the many small boats sailing on the sea and the crowd of tourists, the beach is highly polluted. It is definitely NOT your go-to beach. 

Pattaya beach. I took this early in the morning so there were few people yet. At around lunchtime or past noon, it becomes increasingly crowded.

As I got tired walking along the beach, I sat down on one of those, what do you call them, sun bathing seats? Until I felt a Thai woman tapping me on my back and saying something in Thai and the only thing I understood was "/foh-tee/ baht"! Hahahaha! So may rental fee pala na forty (40) baht! I thought it was free since it is a public beach. I sprung up immediately and walked away. Hahaha!!!

  
Buddhist worshiping corner at the Beach Road. This road highly reminds me of Roxas Boulevard, except that nobody would dare to take a plunge into Manila Bay. 
                      
I have long been nagging the husband that we go to Khao San Road  here in Bangkok for an authentic Thai-style street food experience. Aside from the heavy demand of his work, he does not like eating street foods for haram-precaution (most soups are made from pork broth) and sanitary reasons. I understand him for that. When we arrived in Pattaya, we saw an open-restaurant street-food style along the beachfront. We checked it out and after finding out that they're serving mostly sea foods, we didn't think twice. We had fried crab rice, blanched mixed seafoods (prawns, mussles and squid) in chili Thai sauce and stir-fried morning glory or pat pak boong (kang kong sa Pilipino). We were so delighted that we almost finish the entire meal good for four people! Haha! I am really gaining weight fast here. 



When my Bangkok-based nephew learned that I am tagging along to Pattaya, he told me to "enjoy The Sin City!". Eto pala yun. Not far from where we were staying, just along the beach road is the red-light district where rows of host bars, clubs, massage parlors and hourly hotels are located. It was a good thing I passed by the area in the morning, otherwise how awkward it would be for someone wearing hijab to be walking in the street of prostitutes. Hahaha! Astagfirullah. 

Red-light district

Travel Advisor suggested many a tourist attraction, but what really caught me was The Sanctuary of Truth. In fact, it is the only tourist spot I visited while we were there because I was highly satisfied with what I have seen. MashaaAllah. 


The Sanctuary of Truth  or commonly known to the Thais as Prasat Sut Ja-tum is a gigantic ornate temple-like complex made entirely of wood, I was deeply astonished by the beautiful Thai artistry and woodwork skills!!

Front wing
                     
It felt surreal! I felt like I was in a set of a movie or something, enveloped by the Buddhist mythical and legendary creatures. Haha! It is dubbed as "The Magnificence of Heaven Recreated on Earth" through arts and culture which are used to reflect the Ancient Vision of Earth. It is called The Sanctuary of Truth from the concept that human civilization can only succeed in this world if it can find eternal peace for all mankind. Apparently, eternal peace can be attained when we devoid ourselves from materialism and return to the old values centered to moral and spiritual contentment.

Exterior of the left wing

The intricately carved wood sculptures adorn the entire complex, inside and out. I don't think there is any space not covered with carvings. It presents the seven creators according to Buddhist belief: Heaven, Earth, Father, Mother, Moon, Sun and Stars. 

                    

On top of the four spires of the sanctuary are the four elements that will lead to the ideal world according to Eastern philosophy, Nirvana, I presume. Each step to the ideal world include war between good and evil. In one of the four wings of the complex, wood sculptures presented the epic story of Mahabharta and Ramayana which are, accordingly, meant to extinguish personal desires and lust. 

The vast interior designed elaborately.

All visitors were advised to wear helmets as some parts of the building was under renovation. Some rotten woods are being replaced by new ones with the exact sculptural design. 



Look at that dyahe moment!! I waited for all the tourists to transfer to another wing when I set my phone-camera timer and made an attempt to do a meditation pose then suddenly, these foreigners came and I caught them staring at me the whole time! Hahaha! Na-conscious ako kaya hindi successful ang capture, plus they photobombed me!!! So much for sariling sikap shots. Tsk. 


It is magnificently beautiful!!! 


                      

After seeing everything inside the complex, I sat for another half an hour outside the building just staring at it and appreciating the people who conceived such idea as well as the talents of those who labored hard to materialize such beautiful creation. I may not believe in the Buddhist mythical and legendary stories of creation but it has a similarity with the Meranao legend of Bantugen which has long been forgotten as the Western culture crept into the Meranao society. I guess, the legendary Bantugen and the rest of his story will remain in the memory of my grandmother who sung the victorious songs of Bantugen by heart. It was never passed on to neither my mother's or my own generation. I contemplated on the Meranao wood sculpting artistry, had it been cultivated, developed and promoted among the youth of our generation, we can do better than this. By now, we also have equally beautiful torogan to boast. Sadly though, by keeping at par with the modern technology, we have totally dropped the skills unique to us seeing it as an obsolete and dying industry. I guess, it also has something to do with the increased knowledge in Islam as some Islamic scholars forbid sculpture because it may lead to worshiping idols. I just hope admiring beautiful forms of art is not forbidden because admiration is not tantamount to worshiping. Right?  

A cultural dance treat for the visitors

When the husband and I met at the hotel later that day, I was full of stories and shared many photos with him. He has only one thing to say: "Mas miya-enjoy ka oba sakun nah" (you enjoyed more than I did). Hahaha! 

Dinner at Toscana Italian Restaurant where we had the usual pasta and pizza but in authentic Italian flavor. Delish!!

In continuation to my promotion about Hotel Vista Pattaya, (hahahah!) they have one of the best breakfast buffet I've ever been (on top of my list was in Marina Bay Sands in Subic). On the first day, I had one of the best pad thai I've ever tasted (on top of my list was the one in a Thai resto in Burgos Circle, Taguig? Forgot the name), salad with French dressing (I chose that for a change) and the BEST cream cheese EVURRRRRR!!!! As in it was all I was thinking of whole night long that I already planned what to put on my breakfast plate the next morning. I know I don't need to look around because I already know where they are located on the buffet table. Hahaha! Much to my dismay, pad thai was not available on our second morning. I wished I had eaten more during our first day. Haha!

My breakfast on our second morning. No pad thai. :( But I did have loooooots of cream cheese with herbs. Hihihi. 

Best cream cheese ever. 
                

                   

That's me and husband on a drop lamp.
                                  

Thank you Hotel Vista! Thank you Pattaya for the wonderful weekend and of course, thank you Philippine Embassy in Bangkok for allowing me to tag along! Sa susunod na consular outreach ulit ha. *winks* Hihi.

No comments: