December 11, 2014

Quarter-Life Crisis

If you happened to read my previous post about The Secret, it has something to do with me undergoing "quarter-life crisis" pala. I just learned about it when I was reading an article and came across with the word. It summarized everything that I was feeling, I was going through a phase pala that I didn't recognize. What I knew was that I felt a lot of resentment about everything. It happened right after I was deployed in Maguindanao for my DTTB stint and eventually got married. Everything seemed to happen swiftly that I lost track to cope. I thought everything was perfect for me--- I had my license as a physician and earned respect from society, I have a fulfilling job, I married the kind of person I was praying for--- but I was feeling doomed. I dealt with a lot of emotional pains caused by too many factors and here, let me count the ways: 

1.) The hassles of being a Doctor to The Barrio
   
      Being pulled out from one province to another due to a rift with the local chief executive, going to the mountainous terrains, walking under the sun to reach barangays located in what seems to be the endmost part of the world, dealing with hard-headed and delinquent staff, seeing the miserable condition of the people in a municipality forgotten by civilization; and at the same time, witnessing the fabulous and glamorous lifestyle of the handful of people who are supposed to make life easy for those in the far-flung mountains. I was witnessing the irony in my own society. I was disillusioned. I cannot believe how money and power can rip off some people's conscience, rendering oppression to those in the lower strata and how the latter can all be purely innocent of the injustice lashed at them. For two years during my whole DTTB stint, I was in complete desolation. Yes, I have survived DTTB, I am in a good state now, but the people in the municipality I had left are still eating out from one powerful man's hand, struggling through their daily survival, waiting for a miracle to happen.

   For two years, I have witnessed how corruption from the lowermost level occurs and how the people from the grassroots suffer the consequence and worse, how they tolerate the powerful ones as if stealing the money rightfully owned by the mass is a normal thing to do. And the worst feeling is knowing that you are not, by any means, capable of doing something about it. I came to a point of wishing DTTB would end soon so I can get out of the loop to stop witnessing everything. 

2.) Long distance relationship

      Before my husband and I got married, he already talked me out of the DTTB stint and offered to pay back my scholarship so I can join him in his post in Nigeria. I vehemently refused because I was really looking forward to DTTB and I know I will regret it if I wouldn't join the program. I have already accepted our LDR set-up thinking that I have never been emotionally dependent to one person so it wouldn't be a problem. One month after we got married, he left for Africa and we were both back to our pre-marriage routine. Much to my huge surprise, I had a severe separation anxiety that I had occasional outbursts of crying!! Adjusting with the contrasts in our personality with a seven-hour time difference, it was one hell of a crazy LDR. Thanks to technology, but it wasn't enough to make up for the physical absence. Facetime or viber cannot detect the real mood or environment we were in so there were plenty of times when I would burst into outrage and he had no idea why, and then later on he would find himself profusely apologizing for something he did not understand. I was just PMS-ing lang pala. Hahaha! Thank God, he was/is very patient with me. Oh well, he now has a broad understanding of women and he had my mood swings to thank for. Haha!

3.) Pressure from attending to social obligations

      I was never a social butterfly as opposed to my own mother. Being labeled as "the physician daughter of *insert my mother's name here*" and immensely after I got married, I forced myself to pretend to be the social butterfly that I am expected to be and forced my brain to memorize family genealogy. It is quite difficult to be in the Meranao society, I tell you. You are forced to be who you are NOT because of  certain expectations coming from certain labels, and if you fail to live to that expectation then expect murmurs about you behind your back. Guess I will have to live with those murmurs and just shrug my shoulders as I live my life because honestly, I cannot live to pretend. 

4.) Pressure from the masteral classes

       The biggest perk (the ONLY perk actually) of being in the Doctors to the Barrios Program is being enrolled for free in a masteral classes in the prestigious Development Academy of the Philippines. The classes, which we call the Continuing Medical Education or CME, are conducted every six months for two whole weeks in the DAP Convention Center in Tagaytay City. CMEs are always being looked forward to as a breather and a refresher, it is what every DTTB loves. Upon returning to area, we were bombarded with assignments and action plan and projects (APPs) that needed beating a deadline. With the fluctuating internet connection in our place and with the impending works in the rural health unit, it was hard juggling my role as a student, head of unit and subordinate all at the same time. 

5.) The chaotic world

        Everywhere I looked at was chaotic--the core of the society I live in, my country, the whole world is in the verge of war. Natural catastrophes ground us to rubble because of man's own doings. My eyes opened up to the real world and how miserable it is. Negativity started to sunk into my being, it was eating me from within and my whole perspective about this world started to change. I was letting the happy girl in me slip into a hopeless being. Everything, including my own room, was in chaos.


It never occurred to me that the transition from my extended adolescence to adulthood would be a formidable one. I realized that I actually underwent a life-changing phase when I already emerged out of it. Haha! Yeah, it was quite late but I'm just glad that I managed to get through everything unscathed. I am grateful I'm surrounded by the positively-energized people who peppered me with relevant advice and it also helped that I read self-help books. I read all the three books of Rhonda Byrne: The Secret, The Power and The Magic, I read the entire Qur'an (the English translation) for the first time and tried to understand it by consulting some verses with my father who has better understanding of the Holy Book and of Islam and I listened to lectures of Islamic scholars particularly Mufti Menk and Yasmin Mogahed. Perhaps when you're conscious that something is going wrong in your life, it is a reflex that you try to bind yourself together by looking within you the purpose of your very existence. I clung to my faith and by counting my blessings, all the chaos and negativities hovering above me gradually disappeared. The greatest thing that happened to me while I was in crisis was accepting that what is happening in our lives is way beyond our control, that we can only do so much, and recognizing the power of The One Above who is The Best Planner, The Most Gracious and The Most Merciful. I believe I understood more things now about my faith than I do before, and there are still a good measure that I am yet to learn and understand.

I am grateful to three people who got my back while I was in crisis, the three people who made me see how blessed I am and who returned my positive outlook in life, they are the ones who I constantly talk to about my problems, who had awkwardly seen me crying, and despite my tantrums and everything, they still loved me unconditionally: my father, my husband and my brother J. I love you three!! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! This just got me.

After a year of passing the bar, I got married (early this year) and we're currently in an LDR. Sucks big time! I agree with you; nothing substitutes physical presence. Most days, I'd actually blame him for this set-up, which I know from the start, is making me look like one emotionally unstable and unreasonable creature. Haha. But I am glad my husband is handling it well.

Then it came to me too that our justice system is in reality, JUST TIIS. I was idealistic when I became a lawyer but working in the government proved all my ideals "just ideals" . I'd vent everything out to my husband who kept telling me na, "hindi ka superwoman, hindi mo pasan lahat ng problema ng mundo". Gah, but I was too stubborn to understand.

Plus, these social pressures...the prize that comes with gaining a degree and then getting married. I'd like to think I'm anti-social but I have to force myself now to go out there and socialize.

Anyway, I'm really happy you and your husband are in one place na. Gives me hope too that one day, things will fall into places in my case.

Thank you for your post. If it weren't for it, I'd never realize that I'm going through the same thing pala. The things you mentioned about dealing with the crisis have given me insights on what to do with this kahit papano. So thank you, Ai.

I have been a silent reader of your blog in case you wonder how I ended up to this. Hehe.

Allah bless.:)

Aziza said...

Salaam, Atty. Anonymous! :) I wish you'd seen me get kilig while reading your comment. Haha! I didn't expect that there are few who are silently reading this tiny nook of mine pala. Hehe. Thank you so much! :)

As for dealing with quarter-life crisis, I suggest you also read The True Secret by Amira Ayad. It has similarity in concept with Rhonda Byrne's The Secret but it's on an Islamic perspective. I pray you handle the situation well and just like me, emerge out of it unscathed. In shaa Allah.

I appreciate if you'd drop your name or email ad, or you have blog perhaps?

Jazakallahikhairan for reading this. Thank you and Allah bless you, too! :)

Trisha said...

Hi! I'm so thankful to have come accross your blog! I could totally relate! From the doctor posts to the housewife posts! (Welli dream to be a mom an a housewife...so super happy ako to see that you're happy with that!)

Actually found this because I'm also in a quarter life crisis and I also want to do DTTB. (I'm not a scholar actually andj really just want to do it) I'm really so idealistic right now and want to do it because I want to serve those depressed communities. But I also have my apprehensions. I'm scared because I have no idea what to expect. I really don't know anyone who has done it before. And sobrang nagawa ako nung nabasa ko na you were in an LDR setup during DTTB! That would be me too! Haha

I also sensed frustrations in your posts Po. So I'm wondering, as someone who has done DTTB, would you still recommend it? And will i actualy have time? (I'm actually planning to study for USMLE while I do it; hitting two birds with one stone sana...as this will solve my LDR problems, and so I don't forget how to doctor while I'm doing the program). You sounde so busy!

Waaah! I'm really scared and want to tall to someone who has haad the experience! Hope to hear from you soon! :)

And congrats for your baby girl! :)

Aziza said...

Hi Trisha! It feels kilig to have someone drop by my blog. THANK YOU!

It's great to know that you want to enter the DTTB Program even without any scholarship to "force" you into it. Hehe. Mahirap na masaya na super fulfilling ang pagiging Doctor to the Barrio. Iba-iba kami ng experiences in my batch but I believe we all enjoyed our two-year stints. Yes, I still recommend going into the program as doctors are highly needed in the countryside and it opens our eyes and mind as to what is really happening down in the grassroots, and through that, we are able to formulate solutions (kahit madalas hindi ma-implement). Continue keeping your idealism but don't detach yourself from reality. Kapag masyado kasing idealistic, doon maraming disappointments because of our unmet expectations. It happened to most of us, including me in my first assignment. I am not sure though if pwede mo isabay with USMLE as super bulky ng workload sa RHU plus meron pang masteral classes with Development Academy of the Philippines (for free! the best PERK of being in the program) and toxic ang classes dun. I love my DTTB experience, I have no regrets going to the program and I am so thankful that I didn't quit. :)

With regards to the LDR problems, I don't recommend it. Haha! But what I did was nagmomoonlight ako during weekends para hindi ko masyadong maisip. I kept myself busy talaga and before I know it, tapos na pala. :D

For the meantime, enjoy med school muna because life is simpler there than in the outside world. :D

Trisha said...

Thank you so much for replying. :) actually Because of that I'm going to submit na my application next week! Haha. :) hopefully kayanin ko! And Di ko i-regret na Di muna Magresidency if ever matanggap. Haha. I'm so worried talaga SA time. Sana I have time to study outside of te masters classes pa! :(

Good luck din po sa inyo! Still too excited with the baby girl! :)

PS : sana maging success story din yung LDR ko like yours! :)

Aziza said...

You recently passed the PLE ba? Congrats! Akala ko nasa med school ka pa. :) Good luck with the DTTB program and with USMLE! I hope you document your experiences on your blog para mas masaya! :D

Thank you again! :)